Thursday, September 16, 2010

The pincushion I made for the Pincushion Pass


Hi everyone!

My partner for the Pincushion Pass finally received her package.
My partner is Krista from Spotted Stones.
She loves all things modern.
So I thought this pattern would be perfect for her.
I decided to add a flower made from vintage trimmings.
 The flower itself is made from the bottom edge of a vintage dress.
It was among some vintage trim I got at an estate sale.
 The women I bought it from always kept the decorative edges
 from antique clothing when the clothing was no longer good.
 It was cut with a scissor, and wrapped in tissue paper.
 The beads and the taffeta seam binding are also vintage and came from the same sale.
I had made her another pincushion that was similar
 and had filled it with crushed walnut shells,
but you could see the walnut shell filling were there were pinholes.
I just couldn't send it.
 So I made her a new one
 and used mostly poly fill and just a bit of walnut shells.
I'm glad that she likes it.
 It was a lot of fun to make.
Go on and visit Krista's blog.
She makes wonderful modern quilts.

Hugs

Ariane

8 comments:

Sparky said...

Hello Followed a trail..wasn't such a long one...I heard about this PIN cushion..WOW...love love love pin cushions and you did a great job on this one...very lively colours too..
blessings msamm

Anonymous said...

It's lovely! Great job.

Jingle said...

This is really fabulous! I can see why she loved it!

Cindy said...

The pincushion is so cute that all I'd want to do is display it and enjoy its beauty. Love it !!

Poppyprint said...

It's lovely! I haven't tried the walnut shells, but having read your experience now I likely won't bother. Thanks for sharing.

Krista said...

I really do love my pincushion! It's amazing! Last night when I was cleaning my sewing room, I put it to use and loaded it up with pins! It looks so awesome in my room (no, I didn't let my daughters have it!).

I noticed the middle had something heavier in it, but I wasn't sure what it was. How did you get it in the middle there and get it to stay put? The pincushion I made you has the shells in it as well, but I used a muslin liner in hopes that they wouldn't sneak out. I might have to do a test before I make your replacement and send it.

Tiffany said...

So fresh & pretty, and I love the flower! Good to know about the walnut shells - thanks.

Catherine said...

Very fresh and modern looking and I love the vintage flower on it.