Sunday, September 19, 2010

Use My Scraps Extravaganza!!

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a very nice weekend.
It was busy for me, but nice.
I want to tell you about the
Use My Scraps Extravaganza,
 that occurred on Friday.
I asked my sister Michele, to help me use up some of my scraps by making mini quilts.

As you can see, I don't throw any scraps out! LOL!!!

 I also wanted to show her how to do fusible web applique and free motion quilting on her old White sewing machine. Her machine is about 25 yrs older than my old white sewing machine. LOL!! So pretty old. She was all for it.

So, I gathered my scraps, my sewing machine, my rulers, fusible web,
and drove over to her house for our sewing day. It was a lot of fun.

This was my sister's first time doing fusible web applique and free motion quilting.
Now, I must tell you that my sister is a very talented artist.
You can see some of her projects at her blog, Michele Made Me.
She just started her blog in April and gets thousands of views everyday.
So, I knew that she would learn it very quickly.

This is the art quilt that she made. It's about 12 inches square.
She calls it: "Moms and Tots".
Only the binding was left to finish when I left.

I made the two little quilts that I'm giving away for my 300th post giveaway!

This cute modern table topper. The binding was also in my scrap bag.
It was a leftover from another project.


And my little art quilt called, "Our little house in the woods"
I wasn't finished when I left. I'm still not quite done. I just need to put the binding on.

I did the quilting yesterday. It was a lot of fun. I wanted to do some thread painting on it.
I just wanted it to be kind of a modern country quilt. Can you do that?
I tried anyways, with the raw edge applique and the thread painting.


I guess I'm breaking some quilting rules.....ahhhh.....I make my own quilting rules. LOL!!
That's what happens when your self taught.
I hope you like it. I hope to finish it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Well, I must say we didn't use too many scraps to make these mini quilts. I think we could make about 100 more with the amount of scraps I have.
So guess what!!! We will be having more Use My Scraps Extravaganza's soon.
You may want to have one yourself.

What's in your scrap basket?

Hugs

Ariane




P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway here. It's open until Friday.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE the free motion quilting on "Our Little House in the Woods", Ariane. So sweet! I'm looking forward to our next "Use My Scraps Extravaganza" cause, like you said, not a dent was made in that pile! lol

retdairyqueen said...

Great way to use your scraps and how nice to enjoy the time with your sister

Barb said...

Ohhhh how fun....love all of your projects!

Karen said...

What a lovely way to spend time with your sister. You are both very creative!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Your quilting looks great. Don't be afraid to break the rules. It's your quilt!

Anji* said...

I love your free-stitching style.. and rules are made to be broken!

Linda said...

Your thread painting is lovely. Rules ... who follows rules??? I love that you create your own rules. The little house in the woods turned out lovely.

Jingle said...

I absolutely love the creativity that is coming from your scrap extravaganza! These are fabulous!

Sara said...

BTW, thank you so much for your advice girl!! I will definitely be trying the ideas you had out!!

Love your sister's mini quilt:)

Gina said...

Love the mini quilts. I'm doing a nine patch quilt along to try and tame my scrap basket. It's not working though

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kelly O. said...

that table topper is awesome! It would make a fabulous mug rug design!