Saturday, October 30, 2010

Blogger Quilt Festival - Fall 2010

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share one of the quilts I made at the beginning of my quilting journey.
This quilt was completed in February of 2009.

It's my Jacob's Ladder quilt.
I made it for my second oldest son.
I used scraps of fabric from my other two beds quilts that I had made for my oldest son and my daughter. You can find them here.
Even though, this was not that difficult a block pattern, 
it took me a long time to finish it. 
It was very time consuming trying to make sure that I didn't have the same colors close to each other.
I had just started quilting that year.
So, even though this is a scrappy quilt, I only had so many scraps.
I didn't have much of a stash. All my stash fit into an under bed storage bin.
One bin. LOL!!!
This was the fourth quilt that I made, and the third bed quilt.
This quilt is a twin size quilt.
The border on it was very difficult for me.
I cut all the pieces for the border with a scissor.
And well, my cuts weren't exact.
My seams weren't exact.
I was just a beginner, doing a difficult border.
It was really tough to get it to fit.
I ended up making an adjusted piece to make the border fit.
I quilted it myself.
It is very simply quilted.

But you know what?
I still love it.
It is an everyday quilt.
So, my son has it on his bed as we speak.
It's been washed many times.
It is still beautiful.

Thanks to Amy for giving us the opportunity to share our quilts with others.

Go, check out the rest of the quilts in the blogger quilt festival.


Hugs

Ariane

20 comments:

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I bet you do still love it. It is absolutely beautiful...lovely colors and the pattern looks pretty tough to me! Lucky young man!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great story and great quilt Ariane!

Anonymous said...

Wow Ariane, that's awesome! I can't imagine cutting it with scissors! You go girl!

And useful and beautiful go hand in hand and I wouldn't see any flaws with my imperfect eyes. =)

Unknown said...

Ariane! This is such a lovely quilt and I love the fact that it's a one-bin quilt! See what you can make with very little? Something awesome, that's what!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! I love that it is used, my daughter's quilt is washed almost every week by necessity! And I think it makes it better, and gives us a closeness with our quilting fore mothers.

SheilaC said...

Your quilt is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the great story behind it!

SheilaC

Miss Hillbilly said...

It means all that much more when they are useable, don't you think? I think it is pretty!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Great quilt, I have always loved that pattern...you did a nice job.

Rose Marie said...

Great quilt and the border makes it even more special....and made from a one-bin stash ... priceless!

felicity said...

A one-bin stash. Those were the days, eh? This is a beautiful, beautiful quilt - thanks for sharing it and its story.

Catherine said...

This is a lovely rich quilt Ariane and amazing what you can do with just a few scraps. Lovely to look back on our older quilts and see how far we have come skillwise.

miss~nance said...

Very nice quilt, great story too.

Blessings

Gail

Eve said...

That is a very pretty quilt. For an early piece, it's not bad at all. Wish I had the skill!

Please check out my blog giveaway open to followers new and old! :D
Eveshouse.blogspot.com

Lonci said...

I love your quilt:)

AnnieO said...

You did a great job on this, despite your battles. It is wonderfully warm and inviting. No wonder your son loves it so much. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story:)

Angie Padilla said...

This brings back fond memories... one of my first quilts was a Jacob's Ladder, too! However, not as ambitious as yours, as I only used two fabrics and plain borders. I love your scrappy one. Hmmm... maybe a patter to revisit?

em's scrapbag said...

scrappy quilts are the best and this in no exception. I want to do a scrappy Jacob's ladder someday.

crickets said...

Love scrap quilts - and yours is beautiful! It's fantastic - thx for sharing.

Claudia said...

It's a lovely quilt - scrappy designs are my favorite.

Dresden Quilter said...

I love this quilt.