Sunday, October 17, 2010

My little red dresden quilt!

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all having a nice weekend.

I worked on my little red dresden quilt last night.
I finished the hst border that I had started.
Then I decided I wanted to put the block on point.
I didn't have enough of one fabric to make the triangles.
I'm a scrappy quilter. I usually only purchase fat quarters.
I don't buy a lot of yardage, unless it's on sale or I need a backing.
So, I'm thinking....ughhhh.....I'm going to have to buy more fabric.

Then, I had a lightbulb moment.

I'll make myself a bigger piece of fabric.
This is a stash busting project after all.
So, I cut some squares of light fabric from my leftovers from the Jack-in-the-pulpit quilt.
I made 2, 4 patch blocks and cut them on the diagonal to make four triangles.
Then, I stiched them to my block.

Then, I decided I wanted to use my GO! Circle die.
 So, I backed scraps of red fabric with fusible web,
and cut the circles out using my circle die. Easy peasy!!!!

I decided how I wanted them to be placed on my corner pieces,
ironed them on, and
VOILA!!!
This is where I'm at.
I'm thinking, I'm going to put a thin solid cream border around this.
Then, I'm going to use my scraps to make a sort of, piano key border.
I only have so many scraps left. I may have to be a bit creative with the outer border.
We will see what I come up with.

I was asked, about the GO! Dresden die and how many petals I used.
I have 20 petals on my dresden. This is my first time ever making a dresden block.
So, you may ask, how did I get it to work out.
Some people have been having a hard time using only 20 petals, and have used 21 up to 23 petals.
I think it's due to seam allowance. I used my 1/4 inch foot to make sure that my seams were all even.

So, What do you think of my stash busting little red dresden quilt top.
I think this may end up as a Christmas present.
I hope you like it.

Hugs

Ariane

22 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You a making a beauty out of your red stash Ariane!

WoolenSails said...

The quilt came out beautifully, love the colors and the scrappy blocks. I usually decide on things as I go, that is what makes it fun.

Debbie

Sara said...

The red is adorable and I love that you used your stash! I typically only use fat quarters as well:)

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! And what an accomplishment using your scraps. Well done! ...Karen

Cindy said...

Love the red, love the scrappiness! What a great way to use scraps!

FabricandFlowers said...

Beautiful! I love dresdens. Using all reds is a great idea.

Penny said...

I must say it is stunning! Love it!
I handstitch my dresden using english paper piecing method. No guessing how many petals to use.

http://pennyshands.blogspot.com/2010/10/english-paper-piecing-dresden-plate.html

Linda said...

I love it, and you can gift it to me anyday :)

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

This quilt is quite glorious! I love everything about it, fabrics, design everything! Good work!!

Jenni said...

I love it! I don't seem to have the ability to plan a quilt, I just make it up as I go and like you, I rarely buy yardage.

Poppyprint said...

I think it is really beautiful and I hope you make it into a pattern!!! Please do!! I love it, especially the scrappy-ness.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

It's gorgeous, Ariane. I love the outside circles and the use of your red scraps. A great gift and a fun project for sure! Thanks for sharing.

Kath Garvey said...

This is beautiful, love the whole quilt

Amy Friend said...

I love scrappiness! I too only buy bits of fabric and I think that the challenge of making due with smaller pieces often ends up making me more creative. It looks like it works that way for you too!

Barb said...

Just love it!!

Gina said...

It's gorgeous. I love the use of the circles

Love and hugs Gina xxx

GerryART said...

Stash Reduction projects may begin with the primary purpose of reducing the amount a fabric we have stashed.
But, don't they always result in a lovely project made from our hearts?
♥♥♥
Hugs,
Gerry

LisaG said...

I am totally in love with your little red dresden quilt & if you have trouble finding someone to give it to at xmas time then just let me know ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic!!!

Nanette Merrill said...

I really want one of these for CHristmas. Love this idea of using a die. Me wanty!!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your little quilt is absolutely stunning!!!!!

Tiffany said...

It's a beauty and any project that utilizes scraps - is good in my book!