Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My version of the Carpenter Star quilt

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend.
I worked all weekend.
We celebrated our Easter on Monday.

My youngest brother is getting married this summer, and I've been thinking of different patterns to make.
I had one idea, but didn't think i could make it happen in the time I had left.

So, I took my coloring pencils and graph paper out and started coloring.
She used the GO! 6.5 inch half square triangle die and the 6.5 inch square die to make it.
I have the 6.5 inch HST die, but this quilt pattern was for a lap quilt and I wanted a queen.

Here is the drawing I came up with.

I just kept adding hst's around my center Carpenter Star.
I really like the look of it.

This is the fabric I had purchased for the quilt.
It's a Henry Glass collection, and a few kona solids.

I cut all my fabric.
I needed 100 red , 100 black, 148 white triangles.
I cut them using my GO! cutter and the 6.5 inch HST die.
Here they are all cut up.
It went really fast to cut them up.

I did start piecing the center.
Here is what I have done up to now.
I wish my design wall was bigger.
 
As I get further along, I will share my progress with you.

Hugs

Ariane

10 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Ooooo... this quilt is going to be spectacular and methinks the bride and groom are going to LOVE it!!!

John'aLee said...

Love, love it! It is going to be gorgeous!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

You are going to have a gorgeous quilt! Love the colors.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Ariane.....this is going to be just stunning.....the fabrics are just gorgeous....

Merilyn said...

My goodness! The Cutter sure cuts down on cutting time!!! You are well on your way now! I love how you sketched on graph paper, I used to use this method with coloured pencils too!!! Then I got EQ and now I sketch with the computer! but there are always some designs that can only be done the old fashioned way!!! I will follow your progress with this wedding quilt!!

SewCalGal said...

Oh Ariane, I love, love, love the design layout you created. Spectacular. And your fabrics are gorgeous. This is going to be an amazing quilt. I'm eager to see how it progresses and celebrate the finish too. Inspirational...I want to make one!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

The Nifty Stitcher said...

That is going to be a beautiful quilt!

a good yarn said...

It's marvellous! I've justed posted about my desire to make a Carpenter's Wheel quilt. I shall enjoy watching your quilt come together. Great fabrics! Ann :-)

Dresden Quilter said...

Amazing! Want to copy of course!

Sara said...

OK so you sewed the triangles together and not the other way where you sew square to square and then cut them in half to give you two HST's?

I am wanting to make this quilt a queen size.