Monday, May 16, 2016

Me made clothing!

I'm not participating in "Me Made May" this year, but I'm hoping to have enough me made clothing by next May to participate. Before May, I only had 4 tops, and 1 dress that I could wear that I made myself. Not enough to get through the month. But I do wear my me made clothing regularly. The only one I don't wear much is the Sutton blouse I made. I lost more weight and it's too big on me. I need to take it in. But it's a pain because of all the French seams. Oh well. On to new makes. 

I made two Eucalypt tank tops, pattern by Megan Nielson. I used beautifully soft rayon remnants that I bought at Fabricland. 

Both of these fit me really well. I made the XL and had to add some width at the waist down to the hem. So I added a 1/2 inch to the front and back pattern pieces grading it to nothing at the arm hole. Other than that no other changes were made. I used store bought bias binding to finish the neck, arm holes and hem. I love both these tops and will wear these often in the summer. 

I also made the Brumby skirt by Megan Nielson for my daughter. This pattern runs too small for me and I will have to grade it up if I want to make it for myself. I used a stretch cotton sateen from Fabricland to make this skirt. I made the XL for her and had to use 1/4 inch seams at the waist for it to fit her. I also reduces the width of the waistband as it was really wide and she found it uncomfortable. Once I reduced the width it was much better. This was my toile ( practice piece) in order to get all the fit issues resolved. It's cute and will make it again for her. 

Don't look at the pattern matching as I didn't do it. Lol! And this was my first time putting in a zipper in clothing. I struggled a bit to make this skirt because I made a lot of stupid mistakes. The instructions were excellent. I just should have followed them better. Lol! Oh well, next time I'll do better. 

I also made my daughter a vintage style bikini. 
I used a swimsuit fabric remnant from Fabricland to make it. The patterns I used are the Scarlette bralette by ohhhlulu patterns on etsy, and the high waisted pantie also by ohhhlulu. I added a four inch band to the bralette to make it into a long line bra. It worked perfectly. I recycled the bra hardware and straps from an old bra that didn't fit anymore. The suit fits her just right. The patterns were easy to follow. I will definitely make these again.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

My HST overload finished quilt

Hi everyone, 

I finally finished this quilt. It's very simply quilted with straight line quilting a 1/4 inch from each row line. I love how this lap quilt turned out. 
My son helped by holding up the quilt for me. 

I hope you like it!!!