Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Free motion quilting..


I decided to free motion quilt my hexagon star quilt instead of hand quilting it.
I just find hand quilting takes too long.
I've been working on this quilt long enough and I want to get it done.
I love free motion quilting.
Unfortunately, I don't have a long arm, or mid arm.
My regular sewing machine, an Elna Lotus that my mom gave me is great for piecing, and mending clothing.  But it is terrible for free motion quilting.
I tried it, then I tried my vintage singer, and then I finally asked my Mother-in-law if I could borrow her vintage kenmore sewing machine. 
I've used it before for free motion quilting.
It works beautifully.
I don't have a big quilting bed to sit it in, so that's a bit harder.
But, It has perfect tension, the thread doesn't break every two seconds, it has a super strong motor.
I wish I had a better set up, but, that's life right.
It's getting done, and that makes me happy. 

I'm linking with Sew Fresh Quilts
https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2016/10/lets-bee-social-145.html?m=1

6 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Wow....beautiful, Ariane. There's a lot to quilt there!!

the zen quilter said...

I really like stars and star quilts - there is something really special about them. Why not FMQ? It goes a lot faster than using the walking foot for me. Like this a lot.

Nancy said...

It's a beautiful quilt, Ariane. I'm really impressed with how quickly you quilted it!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Lorna McMahon said...

This is such an amazingly gorgeous quilt, Ariane. A true labour of love! So excited to see you are getting the quilting done on such a large quilt on your own machine! It will look so happy on your bed when you are done!

a good yarn said...

Oh my - it looks fabulous! I have to send out large quilts these days as I can't manage the weight.

Carli The Quilter said...

Beautiful Free Motion Hand Quilting!!

Well done, I'm going to start following your blog!