Sunday, December 4, 2016

Scrappy Medallion round 4......

Hi everyone,

I finally got round 4 of my scrappy medallion quilt done. This round took me longer to do as there were more blocks as the quilt got bigger.  



This round was made up of 6.5 inch maple leaf blocks. Here's how they were made up. 
1- cut 3, 2.5 inch squares of the main colour of the block. 
2- cut 1, 2.5 inch square of your background fabric
3- cut 1, 3 inch square out of background fabric. Cut diagonally.
4- cut 1, thin strip of coloured fabric 0.75 inches x 5 inches.
5- cut 2, 3 inch squares of coloured fabric for hst's 
6- cut 2, 3 inch squares of background fabric for hst's 

Make 4 hst's with the 3 inch squares. Use your preferred method to make them. I use a easy angle ruler to make hst's. So I'm able to make my hst's with 2.5 inch strips. You want your hst's to be trimmed to 2.5 inch square.

Now you will make the stem. 

Take your 3 inch square that you cut on the diagonal and your 0.75x5 inch strip of fabric.
 Using a 1/4 inch seam sew your strip to the triangles as shown in the picture above. Then trim your block to 2.5 inches square ensuring that the stem is centred on the diagonal. 
Set your squares to prepare your block. 
Sew your block together. 
It should measure 6.5 inches square.

 For this round you will need 2 black blocks, 2 brown blocks, 2 dark green blocks, 2 light green blocks, 2 dark blue blocks, 2 light blue blocks, 2 yellow blocks, 2 orange blocks, 2 pink blocks, 2 bright red blocks, 2 dark red blocks, 2 raspberry blocks, 2 purple blocks and 2 gray blocks. 

As I was making blocks, I made them in pairs. It made the process a little faster. 

Hope you like how this quilt is coming together.


Linking to:
Main Crush Monday
Oh Scrap!
Moving it forward


13 comments:

Jenny said...

Your quilt is really pretty, I love how it is evolving. How many more rounds do you plan to make?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your quilt is so colorful! Thanks for sharing your maple leaf tutorial with Oh Scrap!

Kat said...

It looks so pretty! I love the effect of all the colors.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is getting prettier with every border you add! I love the colorful maple leaves!

PaulaB quilts said...

This round really adds a lot to the quilt for color and movement. Thanks for showing how to insert the stem. I had no idea. Have a fun week!.

Run 'n Stitch said...

Your colors are great! What a fun project! I love the maple leaf pattern. Thank you for the tutorial.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a fun scrappy quilt--love it--it's so happy!!

Unknown said...

I's such a happy quilt!

maggie fellow said...

love the colors and the medalion .

Teri said...

Beautiful quilt. Love it more with each round

Rebecca Grace said...

This is beautiful! I love the sense of movement you've created with your color placement. As my eye moves across the quilt, the leaves seem to be swirling through the air. Very pretty.

Kate said...

Beautifully done! Love all the color, it keeps your eye moving across the quilt.

Nann said...

I echo the previous commenters. What a lively, colorful quilt you've created! The repeated block shapes in a variety of colors keep the eye moving. It's great!